Review : The Sect by Courtney Lane

description Keaton Mara ran away from a life that had become a nightmare to live on the streets. While the location she now calls home is a dangerous place, she is protected by an unlikely friendship.

The streets provided her with the education she could've never earned from the prestigious university she attended. Regrettably, the term 'educated fool' becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Due to meeting a man with whom she shares a captivating chemistry with, her judgment is clouded, resulting in a fateful decision.

The consequence of trusting the prepossessing stranger results in her being stolen away to a place unknown. Her deceptive new surroundings are just as beautiful as the people who reside there. She discovers that it's a place where the culture of sex without limits or morals is their religion.

Keaton quickly begins to realize that the beautiful scenery serves to hide a very dark truth. The seductive and enigmatic man--who lured her there--desires to save her soul. His intentions are sinister, because saving her soul is synonymous with breaking her.

Because Keaton believes her soul was brutally stolen from her many years ago, she thinks he can't save (or destroy) something she no longer has. She...was...wrong.

WARNING: This book contains pretty much every dark theme there is. Not recommended for those with any triggers or sensitivities to violence, dubious and/or absent consent, and deviant sexual acts.*****This is NOT a romance and it is not a story of "true love".




 BUY LINK


My Review

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

description

This was exactly the kind of book I needed at the moment! Sweet loving couple doesn't appeal to me at the moment so I needed something twisted and that's exactly what I got with this one.

description

The Sect was my first read from Courtney Lane. I've already read my fair share of dark reads and this one was probably one of the best I've read!
There's a warning at the beginning of the book and take it very seriously. I know dark reads are not meant for everyone. There are triggers and The Sect was no different.

description

I don't even know where to begin to give you an insight of this madness. I'm scared I will reveal too much. Reading this one is about paying attention to every detail there is if you want to discover what's behind all this. My recommendation will be to read and just enjoy the ride but I know if you are anything like me a million questions will pop up in your mind.


« And who are you? The villain?”“I’m something much worse than the villain,”Something you’ll never find a definition for. »


As I said before you have to be right in your mind to read a dark book. Don't be afraid of pushing your limits, it's what give you the chills. I can't believe what I'm going to write but if I have to be honest The Sect could have been darker at times. Don't get me wrong, just by the state of some of my status you could guess that I was more than once completely shocked or lost with the story. Can I just say that there were lighten moments that I enjoyed and find even cute and precious?

« I want to possess you. I want to say that if anyone here tried to force themselves on you, they would die. Not soon, not on your timetable, but trust me, they will die. I want to say that, but I can’t.»


The lead character Keaton is one of the strongest heroines I've read. You begin to understand her story when you read her chapters happening in the past. You see what she has to go through and you begin to understand her need to be on the streets.

After being taken away, she has to be even stronger. And believe me when I say she was. Sometimes I was so stunned of her actions. She is tough, she NEVER gives up and she never yields to anyone will!
It was even more unbelievable to see her stay sane in a world where you don't know who to trust where it's clear you have no friends and all your actions are being watched.

Of course there's a guy but am I really going to talk about him here? Once again I'm left a little clueless on what to say about him. I wanted to trust him as much as Keaton but his actions were so vicious

description

The Sect is no love story. I can't even say there's romance in it. There are some moments where you can detect some fragility that leads to some tenderness but you are also quickly reminded the darkest place you are in.

« You should hate me because it’s a very dangerous thing to like me. »

The story keeps you on you toes until the very end! And that's what the best part! Every detail has significance and if you don't pay attention enough you won't see anything coming. I think it's even better that way.

Courtney Lane, count me in your new fan because if your other stories are anything like this one I'm going to devour your books in a matter of months!


No comments