Release Day Blitz + ARC Review: Stain by Francette Phal

12235349_499090706919148_493617791_o

description"You're like the sun...and I'm the stupid moon. Always chasing after you."

I didn't know it was possible to fall so deeply into someone. To drown so strongly into their bottomless depths coming up for air was unfathomable. Until he comes along, with his sun-hot radiance, and eclipses the candle that is me. He's Lucifer before the fall, beautiful but the devil is in the way he looks at me. In the way his touch brands his name across every inch of my skin. His kisses possess my soul in the most sinful of ways.

Maddox Moore is my beginning and my end. Protector, friend, and lover—he's become my sole religion. At his side I become fearless, in his arms I burn to cinders, and in worshiping him I lose myself and discover the person he sees in me. But nothing is forever. Moments are ephemeral. No matter how much you want something life inevitably reminds you that you can't have it.

I'm damaged. He's broken. We're both covered in stains. Stains that make it impossible for us to hold onto each other.

MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY 18+ Warning: This book contains graphic content which may not be suitable for sensitive readers.






MY REVIEW

Stain by Francette Phal
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Well well where to start? I wasn't supposed to read Stain, never heard about it but I have a dear friend who know too well what I love reading and once again she was right! Thank you Allison for the recommendation and thank you Francette Phal for the ride!



I already knew the author from a previous book I have still in my TBR. But Stain being a stand-alone I knew I didn't have to wait to discover yet another new author for me.

The first thing that comes to my mind is how Francette Phal has succeeded to grip me with this story. The book is quite short and dealing with so many sensitive and tricky subjects that it was hard for me to see how she will achieve to make a beautiful story out of it.

Stain is no flower and chocolate kind of story. Just the title itself can give you a hint of how dark the tale is going to be.

"Secrets are dangerous to keep. They rot you from the inside out. Every dark secret one harbors is a colony of millions of white little maggots crawling and burrowing inside the valleys and caverns of your being. Multiplying, procreating, and eating away at you until everything you thought you were disappears, leaving nothing but a shell behind."

The first chapter, the first scene put you directly in the heart of the action. Maddox is a little boy but he and his brother, Noah have already suffered enough with their abusive father. While growing up Noah get to overcome his past but Maddox stayed angry.

At 18, Aylee is a girl who's suffering from the inside. You would think she is happy because she has found a foster happy family. But a beautiful family portrait is just an illusion. Her foster dad is the devil himself with nobody to stop him.
Maddox &Aylee are two different people, yet the same on so many levels. Both are stained and don't believe they are worthy enough. Aylee found a way of coping but she's still scared that someone will discover the dirty secrets she hides. Maddox bury his pain in sex and drugs.

description


“I’m not very good with people. Friendships, dating, that’s all pointless to me. People generally hold my interest only as long as they remain useful to me. Once you’ve served your purpose, you don’t exist to me anymore.” “That’s sad“That’s me.”


When Aylee find the gut to ask Maddox to pose for her, both finally get to spend some time together.

The book is told in dual pov and I appreciate it so much. Being in Aylee's head is a torture. Her suffering is hard to read. Believe me, she's not weak, to me she was just lost and needed someone who got see her.

Being in Maddox head was essential. First because the guy gives no concession, he cares for no one, not even himself. You like a guy who's a total asshole? He is your guy for sure. At first, he tries to resist his attraction but there is no need when the pull is so strong, when you have someone who speak directly to your wound and fill your heart with hope.

description

What really surprised me was how the writing was so good, detailed perfectly It's really graphic for the better but also for the worse. The touchy subjects are written in a way you will be unsettled. The steam reaches his maximum every time they are near. You'll have another kind of suffering from this

description

I have highlighted so many parts I can only show a small part here in my review and I feel I don't do this book justice enough.

Why not 5?
The book was so good but sometimes I think I wanted more depth regarding the treated subjects. Things are end a little to quickly for my taste and to me Aylee&Maddox story is far from over. I've read in Allison's review that a novella is on his way and I'm delirious happy.


Purchase Link

  teaserstain2
Giveaway
Win 1 of 5 signed copies of Stain by Francette Phal and a Surprise Swag Pack



  teasestain1  
About the Author
Francette lives in Massachusetts with her amazingly supportive husband of ten years and her darling two year old son. Reading amazing books has led her to writing and she’s dabbled in fan-fiction before self-publishing her own works. She’s constantly thinking up new stories to write and does her best work when music is playing in the background. Romance is where she’s most comfortable but she hopes to one day venture in mystery novels. She has a weakness for coffee ice cream, tropical fruits and a good glass of wine.  
Connect with Francette

No comments