Arc Review: Strong Side by Alison Hendricks

descriptionTheir chemistry on the field is undeniable. But can they ever be more than friends?

Jason Hawkins is about to throw the biggest Hail Mary pass of his career.
If he can't turn NFL recruiters' heads this year, he'll lose his shot at the one thing he's ever been good at. But every quarterback needs a man he can count on down-field. For Jason, that man just might be the Tigers' new receiver, Derek Griffin.

Four years ago, Derek nearly lost everything after being outed by his teammates.
Now he finally has a chance to get it all back as a walk-on for Eastshore College... if he can resist his immediate attraction to the gorgeous and very straight star quarterback.

An instant connection during practice leads to an easy friendship that only grows stronger off the field. Derek is convinced friendship is all it'll ever be, but a very confusing moment of impulse leaves both of them fumbling for answers about their relationship.

As curiosity gives way to passion and passion gives way to something deeper, Jason and Derek will have to tackle their own personal demons to bring home the win and earn their happy ending.




BUY LINK


My Review

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

description

For a debut novel, Strong Side sure surprises me on many levels. And for a book that short (less than 200 pages) I have to admit nothing feels too rushed.

Derek is a guy who need to prove he can get over an injury he had several years ago. He needs to train better and he needs to overcome his own fear of being tackle on the field.

Jason "Hawk" is somehow the reference in college. He breathes football, it's the only thing that matters and he got a lot of respect out of it. He also sees Derek's potential quickly during summer camps. To help him, Jason doesn't hesitate to do extra sessions.

Both of them develop an easy friendship that turns out to be quickly more... even if Jason is straight.

"As he walks away, I try not to think about the fact that he's going to drop that towel soon"

GFY trope is probably the one I prefer the most. It's also the trope I enjoy because I'm always wondering how an author is going to make it realistic. And Alison Hendricks did it quite naturally. I was septic at first but even if it's a little too simple I knew with the book length it was going to be easy. And you know what? Sometimes it's just need to be that way.

description

I'm not sure what all will happen between us, or what we've just started. But I feel like I've started something that's going to change my life

I loved the fact the story gives us a good insight of the football game. There are a lot of sports books but only a few show us the real action.
This only give us time to see the bond between these two males, how they became friends and how they both takes a bigger part in each others life.

description

The story could have been a little longer, I wanted more backgrounds story for Jason, more connection with Derek and his family but at the same time I have to remind myself that this is a debut novel.

Another part that was extremely well done and very much expected what the level of hotness. M/M means two guys together = means ovaries explosion! I know some people are not interested to read about it but in my M/M book is almost a prerogative. And once again Alison Hendricks delivers something sexy, something hot, something sensual almost off the charts!

Some of you may be bothered by typos- that certainly something that need to be double check for future books because if I saw them, English natives are going to maybe cringe a little.
To recap, if you want to give a chance to a new author with a sexy M/M book, with low drama and believable loving character, Strong Side might be for you.

No comments