Arc Review: Wild Aces by Marni Mann


Title: Wild Aces
Author: Marni Mann
Cover Model: Mike Chabot
Release Date: February 16, 2016

descriptionTrapper Montgomery
His darkness drew me in.
A mystery with a past I wanted to solve.
He was cold, like ice, but set me on fire.
A heat I hadn't felt in ages.
But when I saw his face, I burned...
In mourning
Again.

Brea Bradley
She melted from my voice--shuddered from my touch.
But trembled from the memories
That my face brought back.
She wanted more...
Maybe even him.
I wasn't the hand she counted on.
But I was what she was dealt...
A Wild Ace with no way to win.





Buy Links


My Review

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Wild Aces was a very much anticipated read for me. As a spin-off of the Unblocked series, I was glad to know the charming Brea would have her own book, especially when I knew she has her fair share of suffering in the past. I wanted to know how such a sweet and adorable girl like her could be so broken inside.

You don't necessarily have to read Unblocked to read this one. Wild Aces is a stand-alone and can be read as one, you will maybe just feel more attached if you do.

How a meeting between two people at a masquerade party can change lives so easily? How it is possible two humans being feels so attracted, so connected without seeing each other properly?
This how Trapper& Brea's story begins... and what a scorching beginning!
If you think their first encounter is hot, wait for the sexting that comes after! Don't read this in a public place.

"I forgot that I was on the phone. That he was listening. That I was on my bed, and it was my hand doing all the work. In my mind, he was here. It was his rough long fingers rubbing, plunging, swiveling inside me. His mouth tearing at my flesh. His hips pounding against me as I thrust upward to seal the gap between us."

But there's a lot more than just two people in lust. I didn't read the blurb or at least I think I didn't paid enough attention because there is a lot more in there that I would have guess. And you know what, it was perfect that way. Going blind in a book is the best sensation ever.

description

Trapper is a poker player but you know from the start there's more to him. He had a particularly rough childhood and the scars that go with it. He's very secretive and is not ready to be distracted. Brea may not be in his plan but still he never denies his own feelings.
He has a tenderness that shows as the pages turns. I thought he was more brutal, more damaged but in reality the guy is sweet, caring and passionate. And Brea is just the person he needed in his life.

description

Truth be told, they needed each other. Brea may be a confident woman who enjoys her life. There's something missing. She has a great support in the name of her best friend/boss Frankie but ever since she lost her boyfriend tragically, her life wasn't the same.

description

I knew Marni Mann could write erotica excellently but when you mixed it with mysteries, this is where she shows her real talent. Wild Aces is also about plot twists you won't see coming! So just a piece of advice: Take a seat, take a drink (wine preferably) and enjoy the ride.

“I’m going to get you all soapy and wet and then feed you, so you’ll regain some of your strength. Then I’m going to fuck you again. But there’s something I have to do first.” “What’s that?” “I’m going to taste your cum.”

So the big question is why not 5... It's hard to explain if you haven't read the book. Just know that I'm a pragmatic person so when something a little unrealistic (IMO) happens it bothers me.
(view spoiler)

I wanted to finish my review with a positive note on Brea&Frankie's relationship. For those who loved them in the Unblocked series, you are going to get more of them here. Frankie is Brea's voice of reason and the other is also very true. A friendship like that is so rare and so precious (view spoiler)

To see the spoilers, go on Goodreads -> https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1261339919

No comments