Review: 9 letters by Blake Austin


descriptionLuke Cawley is a broken man. After his wife's tragic death, he lost everything that mattered in the world. Now, his life is filled with hard days, harder nights, and a steady stream of alcohol and the wrong kind of women.
Nothing helps.

Until the letters arrive on Luke's doorstep.
Nine envelopes. Nine messages. Nine chances to find his way back.

Rae Goode is looking for the real thing. After fighting her way out of a string of bad relationships, she's ready for something different--something true.
She meets Luke while piecing her life together, and right away she can tell that he's different. Drawn together by fate and the desire to heal, Rae and Luke discover new ways to mend their broken hearts--one letter at a time.

Discover Blake Austin's debut novel of loss, redemption, and ever-enduring love.





MY REVIEW
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

3.75 Stars

 photo 1637B517-D427-4A6A-9D93-9E2C3255FB08_zpsodfydbta.jpg


This is going to be a quick review as way behind with my reading as had a hectic week, so this will be short and sweet. 


So what's it about
This is about a man (Luke) who is now a widow and struggling with life, with living and is spending his time drinking in bars and having meaningless sex to numb the pain. He is not living and he just doesn't know how to get out of the black hole he is in. Then on the 1 year Anniversary of his wife's Emily's death he gets 9 letters to open and read and here we have Emily pulling him out of Grave. 



So slowly and surely with the help of his bloodhound Dog haha She brings him into the NOW rather than the past. I honestly don't know how people cope with loosing their life's and LOVES, its got to be the hardest job to get out of that pain and let go of what was. So for that alone I feel Blake did a good job and writing about this topic in a beautiful way. 

"When everything's dark for so damn long and your eyes get used to it," I said, just a little glimmer of sunshine lights up the whole world."

Rea works in the Dogs shelter and there's something about her that Luke is attracted to and on that they embark a friendship that grows over time. 


Ok I'm just going to explain a few of my thoughts..
My honest opinion? This is a book about building strength, about letting go and about LIVING. It's about a beautiful warm hearted man than needed to wake up a little. It's about a man who kind of learns to put himself out of the box and let himself heal over time. It's emotional in parts and then just calming in others... 

Then there's Rae.. I wasn't that connected to her honestly, I connected more so with Emily and Luke's marriage. That's just me, I just didn't feel like the romance was the number one goal of this read, but more so was Luke's journey, that's what mattered most.

I really loved Blake's writing style though, easy and enjoyable enabling me to understand all sides of the coin. I just felt this wasn't a romance read but more a book on recovery and healing but that's just my opinion. For a debut novel this was definitely a page turner and yes I'd definitely recommend it but I feel the blurb is slightly misleading.. 

Will I read this author again and recommend him? Yes absolutely
Will I recommend this read? Yes just maybe not see it as a romance book, even if there is some it didn't come as the core and once I saw it as that I enjoyed it for what it was. 

That. Is. All 


9 letters teaser 1.jpg

9 LETTERS TEASER.jpg


About the Author

blake austin bio.jpg

Blake Austin is a guitar playing father of one, who lives in Los Angeles. He's written music for as long as he can remember and was inspired to add book writing to his repertoire. 9 Letters is his debut novel.

For updates: Follow Blake Austin on Facebook HERE

No comments