Release Day Blitz + Review: Toward the Sound of Chaos by Carmen Jenner


descriptionJake Tucker is broken. At twenty-two, he went in to the Marine Corps a naïve, troubled youth. Nine years and four tours later, Jake finds himself back on US soil, though his mind remains firmly planted in the sands of Afghanistan with the men he left behind.

Wounded, chewed up and spat out by war, Jake has only his dog, Nuke, PTSD, and survivor’s guilt to keep him company. He’s lived every day for nine years wondering when it will be his last, but there’s little comfort in the fact that he’s still standing when his platoon isn’t.

Ellie Mason doesn’t have time for broken. She’s too busy trying to put food on the table. And keeping up with the demands of her autistic son, Spencer, is sometimes like fighting behind enemy lines. As if navigating the minefields of single parenthood isn’t enough, Ellie finds herself drawn to the quiet Marine who’s just as lonely as she is. But she’s loved damaged men before, and it left her wounded.

Set against the picturesque backdrop of Fairhope, Alabama, Ellie and Jake find themselves running toward the sound of chaos.

Love is war.
Only the strong survive, and surrender is inevitable.







My rating: 5 of 5 stars

description

Carmen Jenner is a fantastic writer. I read 4 of her books and she always get to me. Even if I don't always agree with the turn she takes in her book there's one thing I know for sure is that she is invested! It's very much the case with Towards the Sound Of Chaos.
I think it's the first time I read something so accomplished in her books. This book goes IMO deeper that her others books had. I don't know why she needed to write a book dealing with Autism & PTSD but she has done it brilliantly!

"How do you undo everything you’ve done? How do you forget the screams, and the faces of your brothers as the light drains from their eyes?"

description

Revelry was my fav' book by her until today. I think Jake Tucker, Spencer Mason and Ellie stole the spot by far!
I haven't read a lot of military book but this one goes through what has to be the hardest and the most real situation I've read about. Jake Tucker is a US Marine who has to go through hell before going back home. While reading you'll get a small insight into the nightmare he had to survive and you are going to want to hug the man SO HARD.

description

It's been a year since he came back in his hometown but he feels nothing but empty. He lives with a dog which helps him with his issues the best he can.
Jake is trapped in his life, no being able to do a damn thing about his issues and suffering through a lot of triggers.

Ellie is a young mother who had to run away to save her child from his abusive father. Her life is not easy because her son has autism. The day to day life is always an adjustment, a battle both of them need to fight and win.

When Jake rescues her from a car accident, it's the beginning of their story...between them but also between Jake and Spencer + between Spencer & Nuke, Jake's dog.

I don't really want to tell everything about the story, the plot, I just want to say this book felt real. I don't know a lot about autism, I practically don't know a thing about PTSD but I know this book was realistic enough.
Pages after pages you witness Ellie &Spencer's struggle, you see Jake's fight with himself and how Ellie appearance in his life in both a blessing but some kind of suffering too.

"“Please don’t run.”“I don’t think I can run from you anymore.”

I couldn't stop reading. I had to because I had things to do but I could have read it in one sitting. Carmen's writing is captivating. It was like I needed to know how she was going to make them deal with all their problems.

"It makes me want to cry because his skin is a patchwork of pain. It tells a story of hate and unimaginable cruelty, but there is splendor in it, too. There’s a tale of courage, survival, immeasurable strength, and beauty in the face of such ugliness. They tried to destroy him, and they failed."

I have to point that while the books deals with heavy subject, there was beautiful and sweets moment all along. Carmen Jenner found the correct balance to put all the ingredients that make a good story into one I'll keep with me.

Towards the Sound of Chaos goes right up in my Fav' books this year. And you should really add it and read it asap! Trust me

~Arc provided via the author in exchange of an honest review ~


No comments