Review: The Debt by Tyler King

description
Hadley saved my life . . . and I ruined hers 

Hadley's my best friend. We share a house, our friends, a life. She knows all my secrets . . . except one. My desperate need for her is inked on my body, it's the best I can do. But Hadley needs to hear the words . . . 

Growing up as foster kids, Hadley made me feel whole-sane. And what did I do? I destroyed our chance to be together. I ran out on Hadley when I should have stayed, and something broke between us. Now I'll do anything to fix it. 

I'll never leave her again. I won't ever let her feel afraid again. But the more I try to protect her from my pain, the more I just make things worse. I'm terrified that if I tell her everything, she'll never forgive me. I'm even more terrified that it may be too late to make her mine. I have to try to give her what she needs . . . it's a debt I'm determined to repay.





My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Every once in a while you read a book that has a different kind of vibes. The good kind of vibes. The Debt was it for me.
I have yet to thank again my dear friend Allison for a fantastic rec'! If it wasn't for you I'm not sure I would have found and read this book.

Even if I was interested in reading the book I was a little scared to start. Picking a new author has both a thrilling side and an anxious side. Thrilling because I love discovering new talent and I love even more seeing them evolve. Anxious because when I have to review a book from a new author I don't want to sound to harsh if I didn't like the book. As English is not my mother tongue, I can easily no use the correct words.

But I digress.

By 12% in the book, I was hooked! And a little speechless... Is it really Tyler King first book? Because it's enthralling from the start I couldn't believe it! This is a real page turner!
I usually prefer a lot of dialogues, a lot of interactions in my books. But here you have a lot of inner thought and believe me it was always done so correctly, so accurate and needed, never boring, never too much, just the right amount.

"Our lives would never be simple. I didn’t love her because it was painless. We were a fucking mess and sometimes it hurt. But she understood me the way no one else could. And I’d never give up on her without a fight."

Told entirely from Josh's pov, The Debt was poignant. Based on the blurb, you know he's struggling. And he does suffer a lot. I appreciate how the author balanced the suffering and the lighter moments. One of the "issues" approached in this book can be a trigger for some.

"Making love to you is the happiest memory I can’t stand to think about. Nothing has ever felt so perfect. I was right there, Hadley. I was with you completely. And then I wasn’t."

Josh and Hadley, both knew each other for as long as they could remember. Both have always been there for the other, both saving the other, both loving the other in their own way and on their own.

Tyler's writing has given a lot of depth to her characters. You not only read about them, you don't only share Josh's thoughts, you live them. You see them through his eyes, you are with him every step of the way.

The Debt is an emotional read that got some angsty parts, some sweet and loving moments but most importantly felt real.

I would recommend to everyone who likes to take a chance, not matter what you usually read.

“My life didn’t begin until I met you. I’ve loved you every day that matters. I’m so fucking in love with you and you scare the shit out of me.”

No comments