Review: Backfire by Keri Lake

descriptionDark Contemporary Romance coming June 9, 2016 This book is a standalone set in the same world as Ricochet.

No matter how unbreakable he may seem, every man has a weakness.

A year ago, my home became a bloodstained crime scene. That night marked the beginning of my hell—the same night I was tortured by my enemies and tossed into an underground prison to die.

They failed. I survived.

Now that I’m free, only one motive burns in my soul: revenge.

Lucky for me, they think Jase Hawkins is dead. Maybe I am. I’ve got nothing but a cold, merciless rage, and Black Betty, the sharp steel blade that never leaves my side.

Then she drifts into my life.

Lucia wants answers—so much so, she’s willing to fall into the darkness where my enemies lie in wait, to kill her for what she knows.

Or to take her for the depraved fantasies her body alone can rouse in a man’s mind.

Me? I want her for the fire in her touch that feeds my addiction, forces me to feel what has become numb, but my appetite for bloodshed runs deeper than flesh.

For my own sanity, I’ve vowed to stay away from her. Because she’s my only weakness, an obsession that leaves me craving more—one that could make even the most steadfast plan backfire

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Reading Backfire is like drinking a good wine. To fully appreciate it, you must read it slowly. There are so many information, so many turns, so many surprises that will left you completely stunned. Keri Lake put a lot of effort in his book and it shows! One thing I'm so grateful for is the fact she decided to give us a full book instead of two. Yes the book is long but every details counts and its length adds to the beauty of the book. It's necessary to enjoy Lucy & Jase love story.

description

I've never read so slow in three years. RL didn't give me the time to read more than an hour per day and it was sometimes excruciating to let the book there. I wanted to know how the story will unfold. You are warned once you start you won't want to stop. I know it's a bit contradictory with what I said in the first place but hé I never said you should listen ;)

“We were both abandoned at a young age. Both trying to survive in the aftermath. Both guarded by pain and loss. We’re the same, Jase.”

Backfire takes place in the same city than Ricochet and that's where the similarities stop so you know you can read it as a stand-alone.
It tells the story of Lucia a photographer attracted by death. She takes photographs of crumbling buildings but one day she's at the wrong place at a wrong time.
In a corrupted Detroit, she films something she shouldn't have.

Jase is on a vengeance mission after the murder of the only family he had: his brother and his grandma. After being tortured, he's finally free thanks to someone as shady as those who kept him.
All his life he had to get by to survive. His track record is not brilliant and one poor decision changed his life.

“We’ll see how scared you are, Lucy. And you’ll come to know exactly what I like these days.” “Go ahead. Do it. Do what you want. I know who you are, Jase. I know you won’t hurt me.”



What drew me in immediately was the promise of a particular love story. And I had it more than I thought.
While Ricochet was all about the vengeance, Backfire let more a love story to take place. It was beautiful to see feelings grow, to see how both Lucia & Jase are fighting what they feel. Believe me you're gonna be frustrated so many times but when they finally comes together is the best!! Jase is such a dirty talker.

“I need you to know that I don’t hate you, Lucy, but I’m about to fuck you like I do. Ready for me?”

Backfire is very dark, gritty and can contain triggers for some. It's definitely not for everyone but if you love those can of books don't wait and pick this one, pick this series if you haven't read Ricochet!

I can't seriously wait for Ballistic...

description
~Arc provided by the author in exchange of an honest review ~





My rating: 5 of 5 stars
5 Luce STARS

I’m a self-professed lover of dark reads. The darker, the grittier, the more on edge - the better. And if all this darkness can be infused with passion and love, then I’m on cloud 9.


My first read by Keri Lake, Ricochet, was like that and I loved the darkness. This second book in the Vigilantes series, while also standalone, builds on that same darkness. It also takes place within the underbelly of Detroit. Where violence, corruption and monsters dominant. Where survival is its mainstay and kill or be killed, its mantra.


Jase Hawkins is an inhabitant of this darkness. Life has dealt him a shitty hand that’s had him hungry, alone, fighting to survive and helpless to protect those he loves. When faced with the chance for vengeance, Jase willingly embarks on what might be his most dangerous and deadly fight of all.


Lucia (Lucy) Novaková is a struggling photographer also living on the riskier and more desperate side of Detroit. Lucy’s not without her demons and her dreams seem too far out of reach. The solitude of her life threatens to consume her until she stumbles upon something so dark that she finds herself hunted.


Lucy and Jase’s paths collide as he hunts one thing and she runs from another. At first, their relationship is volatile and at times filled with venom and force. While for some, they may want to H/h to go all lovey dovey from the get-go, to me, this was realistic. They're both survivors and right now, each of them could be a potential threat to the other's survival.


Their connection runs deep and as things become clearer, they realize they need each other more than they've ever needed anyone before.

“His lips held a world of promise, a world I wanted to slip inside and never leave. A place as dark as the mystery that surrounded him, but brimming with excitement and danger, lust and pleasure.”


Jase is not a good man but he's not bad. And at times, he could be brutal (not to Lucy) and I knew I should likely hate him for what he's capable of but I just couldn’t. He was one of those anti-heroes that your heart breaks for and you can’t help but hope for his salvation.

 photo Backfire2_zpsttbno0bt.jpg

I'm not going to sugar coat this. There’s a lot that’s unsettling and violent about this story but I couldn’t look away. I was captivated. This was a raw, action-packed read with all the feels.

 photo backfire3_zpsegbzslnr.jpg

**ARC generously provided by author in exchange for an honest review.**

No comments