Throwback Thursday: Signal Bend series by Susan Fanetti


description
Lilli Accardo moves to the dying town of Signal Bend, Missouri, where the citizens have made a devil’s bargain to stay afloat. Lilli quickly garners the attention of the whole town, particularly Isaac Lunden, President of the Night Horde Motorcycle Club and de facto protector of the town and its citizens. 


When it turns out that Lilli is there under murky circumstances, Isaac decides to get close and try to figure out what she’s hiding. Their chemistry is instantaneous and electric, but each is a potential danger to the other. 

Action, sex, and drama ensue as Isaac and Lilli try to navigate the rocky terrain between trust and threat. 

Note: explicit sex and violence.



My rating: 5 of 5 stars
5 ASTOUNDING STARS

I love biker stories and yes, like many of you, I’ve read A LOT of MC stories. But, I gotta say, I’m putting this book among the top of the heap.


It was a captivating read. I've read other really good biker books and while I was riveted and loving it, I felt like I was watching it all unfold through the window; I wasn't in the thick of it. Not this book. IMO, Ms. Fanetti's writing style draws you in. I felt like this was my story, like I was there in Signal Bend. And Lilli, Isaac and the others, were my people.



LILLI ACCARDO 

“She was something special, something to behold. Something dangerous.”



Lilli is an amazing heroine!! There are very few like her. Susan Fanetti creates wonderfully, amazing female characters that kick-ass!! Lilli is smart, brave, strong and knows what she wants and knows just how to get it.


ISAAC LUNDEN

“Fuck, the man was all elemental sex.”




Isaac is unlike any other MC president I've read and I freakin' LOVE him!!


And together...Lilli and Isaac have this wild, unbridled, lasting passion.

“I’m not gonna fuck you, baby. I’m gonna move you. Let me. Let me have you.”


“I love you, Sport. You’re it for me. You fill up a space in me I didn’t even know was empty.”

If you like Motorcycle Club stories, kick-ass heroines and hot as f*&k Alpha males, READ THIS BOOK.

This was a Buddy Read with Flo and Stephanie. Thanks girls for joining me on the ride!



description
Lawrence Ellis, with vast wealth and power, has made it known that he wants control of Signal Bend, Missouri. He is a man who always gets what he wants; there are no limits to the lengths he'll go, and he has the means to pay all manner of people to do his dirty work for him. The Night Horde MC, led by its President, Isaac Lunden, is wildly outmatched but prepared nonetheless to defend their hometown to the last man, and they are willing to do whatever they must to protect their home. Lilli Accardo, Isaac’s old lady, with her own special skills and resources, stands with them, rebelling against Isaac’s need to shield her. 


After toying with them for months, Ellis loses patience for the game and rains down destruction on the Horde, their families, and the town itself. Tested to their very limits, beyond anything they could have imagined, forced to travel dark roads, the citizens of Signal Bend fight a war no one—not even they themselves—thinks they can win. 

Challenged constantly from without, beset by their own inner demons, Isaac and Lilli must find the true strength within their bond. Isaac needs to protect what is his; Lilli needs to stand on her own; but they are stronger side by side.

Even in the deepest darkness, love brings hope. 

Note: dark themes, explicit sex and violence. 



5 SHINING BRILLIANTLY STARS


What a roller coaster!! I. Could. Not. Put. This. Down. This second book was grittier with a lot more dark, gut-wrenching moments yet it was still beautifully moving.


There was a lot more angst and turmoil and at times, I was a disaster! Beside myself with tears, rage and despair. Bravo, Ms. Fanetti!!


I think I have found THE one. Isaac is perfection. He’s strong, intelligent, all Alpha, raw and yet, he can be sweet and tender. He is the ultimate man!


“I love you, Lilli. Like I didn’t know I could love. Fuck, I feel spun by it.”

And the chemistry between Lilli and Isaac is other-worldly. It's so alive that it just sizzles off the page. Even the simplest and most innocent of touches had me totally turned-on!


Lilli is the SHIT! I absolutely love her. She is right up there with Nora Sutherlin as the best heroines EVER!! Even with all the unfathomable evil thrown at her in this book, this woman is a power-house of strength with the right amount of vulnerable, nurturing and downright sexy!

“Their sex was often rough; they both preferred it that way. But there was a desperate, fiery blade to this fuck that was new.”


I’ve read the first two books in this series back-to-back and usually, with a complete series, I have to take a break and mix things up with another book or two sprinkled in here or there before I finish the series.


With Signal Bend, fuck no. I want more. Give it to me! I'm heading back to Signal Bend.


description
Signal Bend, Missouri survived a war on its streets and has arrived at a period of growth and peace. The town and its guardians, the Night Horde MC, relax into this moment of hope, looking toward the future for the first time in decades.


Everyone but Robert 'Showdown' Ryan. Having suffered tremendous loss in that war, and taking on the burden of blame for it, Show has nothing left of himself. He is an empty husk of a man, drowning in grief and whiskey, seeking relief in numbness. 

Shannon Bannerman has come to Signal Bend to manage the new Keller Acres Bed & Breakfast. She has left a successful city life to start anew in this tiny town, trying to keep the door closed on the regrets of her past.

Shannon is drawn to Show despite his stony detachment, and he is drawn to her despite his need to stay numb. But the pain in their pasts is deep and damaging. Only real love, like neither of them has ever known, could heal it. 

Note: explicit sex, limited violence



My rating: 5 of 5 stars
4.5 SHOWDOWN STARS


I’m in love with the Night Horde MC and Signal Bend. This third book in the series was a totally different feel and pace from the last two but, also fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed Show's POV and seeing Isaac and Lilli's through his lens.


I thought like the residents of Signal Bend, the more subdued tone of this book was needed to regroup, process and heal. Yet, it was still heart wrenching at times, as Show came to grips with the loss of his Daisy.

And to further complicate things for Show was Shannon. At first glance, Shannon "the glamourpuss" did not seem to be right for Show but she grew on me. And while her secret was not that hard to figure out, their demons and wounds were the perfect foil for each other. In the end, Show and Shannon just fit.


“You look at me like you see something.” He drew his thumbs over her cheekbones and felt the swell as she smiled.

“I do.”

“No. Nothing to see.”

She blinked and her eyes cleared and opened fully. “That’s not true, Show. I see kindness. Strength. And sorrow.” One hand slid from his neck, and she put her fingers over his mouth and through his beard. “When I look at you, I can feel you. I don’t know why.”



Excuse me, but I have to get this off my chest...Let's face it, any woman would look good compared to Holly! Sorry, I truly feel for her and the horrible violence done to her and her daughter but what I just can't get is...


If you were so fucking miserable before all the shit hit the fan then, rather than torture Show and yourself, why didn't she leave?!

Okay, thanks for the rant! Feel much better now.


While this was not as intense, I needed it to gather my thoughts and to actually work through the roller coaster of the second book. Overall, this was mellow and sweet just like Show!


description
Signal Bend, Missouri and the Night Horde MC gained notoriety after a shootout on Main Street brought down major players in the Midwest meth trade. The media have turned the Horde into folk heroes, and Hollywood wants a piece of that action. 


Riley Chase is America’s sweetheart, with a starring role on a popular television series, and now she’s the lead actress in the movie about Signal Bend. In Hollywood she’s hounded by the press, without the luxury of privacy or secrets, forced to play out her most intimate moments, even tragic ones, on a public stage. In Signal Bend, she’s nearly anonymous, able to discover who she is behind her image. 

Bart Elstad is the Horde Intelligence Officer. His responsibility is to keep the club’s secrets buried, especially while the world is looking their way with a long distance lens. He’s in charge of the actors while they’re in town to research their roles. 

Bart and Riley forge a quick but intense connection. A casual connection without expectations soon deepens, far more than either of them could have predicted. He sees the woman behind the starshine. She sees the man under the leather. Two very different worlds merge for a brief moment, but reality can’t be suspended forever. 

Chaos breaks loose both within and beyond the club. Tensions that have been simmering boil over, with catastrophic consequences. The Horde’s most powerful allies, concerned that their secrets might be exposed in the spotlight of fame, become dangerous enemies. Riley gets caught in the middle. With the future of the Horde in the balance, Bart makes a sacrifice that will change the club, and his life, forever. 

Note: Explicit sex and violence.


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
4.5 LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION STARS

I’m loving every minute of my stay in Signal Bend. In this fourth book, Hollywood comes to Signal Bend. The town is finally on solid ground yet their backs are up with all the attention the movie is bringing to their small patch of earth.

Again, this one was different from the other books and I have to say, I just love that! This was Bart Elstad’s story; the Night Horde’s chief intelligence officer. Bart is so different from Isaac and Show yet, with all three, they have this strong, good and compassionate force that draws you to each of them in a different way.

Bart’s a hot geek but every much a Night Horde brother as any other. And his love interest is Riley Chase, a sweet, young movie star set to play Lilli in the movie.


Riley and Bart have chemistry from the get go and this story unfolds as their passion grows into love.


Of course, trouble is lurking and eventually, it comes knocking. Bringing with it heartache, anger, betrayal and loss. This was emotional for the entire MC and I felt so much for Bart.


This was another great story. This entire series has been the perfect progression from one book to the next and so well developed. And boy, Susan Fanetti sure can write! Her style is so easy, inviting and riveting.


description
Ride or die. 


An act of treachery has weakened Isaac Lunden, President of the Night Horde MC. His life, and his family’s, is changed fundamentally. Lilli, his old lady, is at his side, exhorting him to fight. But he isn’t sure that what’s left to him is enough to fight for. This is the story of Isaac and Lilli’s journey through those dark woods. 


Author's Note: this novella develops a plot point in Alone on Earth, book four of the Signal Bend series, that could not be adequately explored in the POV's of that book. The description above therefore is a spoiler for that event.



My rating: 5 of 5 stars
5 NEVER SAY DIE STARS

This novella featuring my ultimate,favourite couple of this series -Isaac and Lilli, is pure perfection. Through its brevity, it poignantly portrays the strength of their bond, even in the darkest of times, and how their love, need and commitment to each other and their family is a force not to be reckoned with.


Isaac – big, strong, power, raw, virile and gorgeous. 

Lilli – strong, smart, brave, true, sexy and beautiful


“Your brain and your heart – big and strong as ever – they make you a man.”

 photo IntoDarkWoods_zpse979a791.jpg

“What I need of you I still have, love. As long as you’re with me, I still have you. All I need.”

“Ride or die. 
“Okay, brothers. Let’s ride.”



description
Joseph 'Havoc' Mariano is an enforcer for the Night Horde MC. He’s a punch first, think maybe kind of guy, a man of action. He's impatient and frustrated with the quiet life—times are changing, his town is changing, his club is changing, and Havoc places the blame squarely on the women that his brothers are settling down with. There's only room for two women in his life: his mother and his sister. Romance holds no appeal for him whatsoever. He’s a homegrown, hometown boy whose attitude covers scars he’s mostly forgotten about. 


Corinne Hawes is a single mother struggling to find a way to make a life for her and her teenage son, Nolan. She is an artist at heart, a free spirit on whom the structure and rigor of routine chafes hard. When she takes a job that makes Havoc her boss, they butt heads. But in their confrontations, a spark ignites. When they let their guards down, that spark explodes into a blaze. 

While Cory learns to trust Havoc, and Havoc grapples with a major shift in his priorities and outlook on life, the period of legitimacy and peace comes to an end for the Horde. They had no idea that they were in so deep until an old enemy resurfaces and perpetrates a horror that affects Havoc, and Cory, profoundly.


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
 CRAZY FREAKIN' HAVOC STARS

“Fuck, woman. You make me feel crazy.”


Wow, just when I think it can’t get any better, Ms. Fanetti pulls the rug out from under me!


I was excited but also a little unsure about Havoc’s story. Throughout all the other books, he was not that easy to pin down so, I wondered how this would unfold. Well, he was one hell of a ride!! Despite his rough edges, raw, fierce power and all out sexist ways, he was gently brutal and had me weak at the knees.


Even in the darkest moments of this book, and there were a few, when Havoc’s actions could be deemed questionable and unforgivable, Ms. Fanetti did what she does best, she made him human. Despite all the gruff and sometimes scary exterior, her writing and character development made me have but only one choice, and that was to love him.

“Chicks did – they ruined everything. But now he wanted to keep it ruined.”

Corinne (Cory) Hawes, single mother to teenage son, Nolan and free spirit just trying to deal with the hand life dealt her, did not stand a chance against Hav. Even with all that was wrong with Havoc, he was a good man, a kind man and when he loved, he loved. I really liked Cory and she was perfect for Hav. I absolutely adored Nolan and loved Cory’s mothering and Hav’s way of being a father and a friend.


(Forgive me, I know Hav has a beard, not stubble but a BEARD. I had Dominic Purcell casted from the get-go because of Hav's brooding looks, menacing glares, Dominic just seemed to fit…and so no other would do. So just imagine him with a thick, dark beard!)

In this one, the Horde are reintroduced to danger as they face violence, loss and betrayal. And boy, there is also a hit outta left field that I did not see coming!! They’re getting closer to the fire and it’s obvious that there’s only more to come. Here I come Len! xx



description
Len Wahlberg, the Night Horde MC’s Sergeant at Arms, has had Isaac Lunden’s back for decades. A loner at heart, he has needed no closer bond than the brotherhood of his club. For years, he’s preferred to take his women in groups, because he has neither needed nor wanted the intimacy of a coupling. 


But after he’s seriously wounded in a firefight, feeling his age and mortality more acutely than ever before, he discovers that his own company isn’t enough any longer. He needs a stronger, more intimate bond, and he finds that connection in an old friend. 

Natasha Westby is a club daughter. Her father, the Horde’s first SAA, raised her alone, within the rough and rowdy walls of the clubhouse. After a torrid, youthful affair with Isaac ended in public humiliation and heartbreak, Tasha left Signal Bend and found a safe distance from which to make a life—close enough to stay connected to her family, but far enough to live her life outside the club. She built a complete, contented, unconventional life that has little to do with Signal Bend or her club family. 

As a doctor working at the nearest hospital, she finds herself involved more and more deeply with the club as its business becomes more and more dangerous. When her family ties finally upend her separate life, she is drawn back home and into Len’s arms. 

While Len and Tasha try to understand and define their connection to each other, and Tasha struggles with her reentry into the world of the club, the Horde’s unwilling entanglement with a dangerous drug cartel becomes deadly. Fighting for justice and freedom against a man who will commit any atrocity to assert his power, the Horde family experiences pain and loss the likes of which it has never known before.

Love and hope are all they have left. 

Note: dark themes, explicit sex, and graphic violence.



My rating: 5 of 5 stars

5 SQUEEZE MY HEART WITH AN IRON FIST STARS


“There’s an ill wind blown’ the club’s way.”


I’m one big mess of emotions right now! I need a drink.


I seriously want to destroy something I'm so angry.



I’m devastated.



And I need a really big hug!



Even with a night to digest this, my head is all over the place. So forgive any incoherent thoughts or ramblings...

Len called Tasha a badass. I say Susan Fanetti is a badass and she owns it. As much as this story slayed me - and from about the 66% mark on, I found myself weeping A LOT and when I would put the book down, I could NOT forget - what Ms. Fanetti did took guts and it must have been painful to write. I hated it but it also held true to the series and the path the Horde have been on for a while. I've thought many times before (view spoiler)

Not surprising, but something I was grateful for, is we got to see and hear from the others in the Horde family (view spoiler)and we saw some of their past demons come into play here in a really raw and agonizing way. Having this tightly woven family band even more together in their darkest moment gave me strength.

I was reeling for the last third of the book so much so that while this was Len and Tasha’s story and I truly liked it, they faded into the background for me. I guess in a way, Len and Tash may have gotten ripped off but, on the other hand, both Len and Tash are club. They get IT and perhaps that’s why it was them telling this raw, dark and painful story? They understand what the club stands for, what you fight for, what you risk.


Amazingly, Ms. Fanetti with her gift for storytelling and bringing to life such real, vibrant, characters, got me through to the end. There were moments when I didn't know if I could finish, my thoughts drowning in the loss, anger and despair - really not able to take anymore - but these guys, the Horde and Signal Bend are under my skin...I'm deeply invested in each and everyone of them and I could not walk away. I knew it was not going to be pretty and truthfully, when you enter the world of Outlaws and the underbelly of society, there is barely any room for light or good.

The final book in the series is next and while I don’t expect everything to be coming up roses, I sure hope that there is light at the end for my boys.


description
The Night Horde used to be sure of their place in this world. Now, following a harrowing confrontation with the vicious leader of a notorious drug cartel, they are weakened in body and spirit, and they no longer have the unwavering support of the citizens of Signal Bend. They must fight to reclaim the goodwill of their town and their own sense of purpose. 


Justin 'Badger' Ness is struggling both physically and mentally with the price he paid for his place in the brotherhood of the Night Horde. That which gives him the most strength is becoming his personal demon. He is in danger of losing sight of what is good and real in the world.

Adrienne Renard is lost between the life she thought she wanted and an endless world of possibilities. The stepdaughter of Showdown Ryan, the club VP, comes to Signal Bend out of concern for her friend, worried about Badger’s increasing distance, but she stays to find her own place in a life she never knew she wanted. 

Together Badger and Adrienne learn that trust—in each other and in themselves—is where strength truly lies. Without trust, there can be no atonement, no forgiveness. It’s a lesson the Night Horde and the town of Signal Bend must learn, as well. 

Leave a Trail is the final volume in the Signal Bend series. It is a story of struggle and recovery, of loss and gain, of hope and perseverance, and of the abiding power of real love. Also included in this volume: The True Seed, a novella and epilogue to Leave a Trail and to the Signal Bend series itself. 

Note: explicit sex and violence.



My rating: 5 of 5 stars


5 TRAILBLAZING STARS

“Don’t walk away from someone you love. Ever.”


This will be short and sweet because I can’t possible capture all of my thoughts and emotions about, not only this book but, the entire series into one review. There simply are no words.


“I’m Horde because there’s no stronger family anywhere. No bond tighter.”



 photo LAT_zps963e1f32.jpg

“I’m never leaving you, Adrienne. We are us forever.”



Ms. Fanetti, I can’t thank you enough for bringing this phenomenal journey full circle…


the perfect ending with Lilli and Isaac’s words...my FAVOURITE COUPLE!! Their journey back to each other


was heartbreakingly beautiful.


I will miss the Night Horde. But maybe Ms. Fanetti will take a trip to SoCal? Until then…

“Let’s ride, brothers. Let’s ride.”


Goodbye Signal Bend. xoxo


No comments