Review: Lies & Lullabies by Courtney Lane

description
On the weekends, she’s Sugar, a woman free of the pretty prison constructed by her domineering father, who combs the dangerous streets in search of something she never quite finds. During the week, she’s Simone, the good girl and the illegitimate daughter of the most powerful and hated man in Los Angeles. 


Catch—aptly named for his “career” choice—is a man shrouded in mystery with one dangerous purpose. After a whirlwind encounter, Catch draws Simone into his dark and tangled web. 

A dangerous game ensues, lives are lost, truths are exposed, and one man may shatter the foundation of a powerful organization on the brink of extinction. 

The game of truth or dare won't end until Catch and Simone strip each other of their façades and uncover the reality of who they were, and who they are fated to become.



My rating: 3 of 5 stars

description

What did I just read? You can always trust Courtney Lane to give you one fucked up story. Even if in this one, there are less dark elements than usual, it stays a twisted story.

I have a hate/like story with this book. After the prologue I was intrigued because I didn't expect to have a mafia book. I never thought Courtney Lane would venture in such universe. After 25 % I wanted to stop reading because nothing made sense and I couldn't connect to the characters. I spoke with one of my friends who read the book and she told me it made sense at the end. So I decided to give it another shot. While I'm certainly happy to have an incredible explanation for it all, I'm not sure I'm satisfied with the relation between Catch&Simone. It's better than I thought at first. There are some senses to them being attached but the ending left me with an unsatisfied taste.

"We're going to have a lot of fun together. I'm going to change your life. Don't ruin our beautiful start by behaving rashly"

Lies & Lullabies is a story filled with mysteries, unspoken truths, and appearances. All this mixed with an unstable hero and a lost heroine.

For those who have doubt about where the story will take you, just read the book and let the truth unfold piece by piece. Don't assume too much. I would have prefer to have all the revelations by small bits while reading but the truth has a bigger impact that way

"Everything I've done has a purpose, to make you better and to make you mine"

What excited me even more was the news CL left at the end of her book. Her next book is going to be the last dark story she plan to write and she will return to paranormal. But for fans of romance with gritty elements (me in this case) she will have another pen name: Billie Loren that I'll be sure to follow.

description

~Arc provided by the author in exchange of an honest review ~


No comments