Review: Ravage by Tillie Cole

description
Taken by the Jakhua Clan as a teen, 194 was stripped of his name, his identity, and his freewill, meticulously honed to be a ruthless, soulless killing machine, trained solely to spill blood and stop hearts. This is a role he resents with every fiber of his being, but one he embraces to gain back the precious leverage the Georgians wield as their weapon of control: his younger sister, 152.

Mzia Kostava is in shock. After fleeing her mafia family's massacre in Georgia as a child, Mzia lives in secret, hiding from her enemies in the dark shadows of Manhattan. At age twenty-five, believing all her family is dead, word reaches Mzia that her brother Zaal is very much alive... and living with their family's greatest enemy: the Volkov Bratva in Brooklyn.

Yearning to be reunited with her beloved Zaal, Mzia risks her safety and anonymity for the brother she had mourned since childhood. But just as she reaches Zaal's apartment, Mzia is seized and taken captive by a strange man, who is strong, dark, and brutal... Unyielding, he demands her utter obedience as he locks her away in darkness. He is highly skilled in torture and inflicting pain, and demands to know everything about her brother Zaal and everything about her. He is a man that'll do anything to get what he wants.

Sometimes love requires the sacrifice and betrayal of those held most dear. But is finding one's true love worth committing the greatest sacrifice of all?




My rating: 4 of 5 stars
3.75 STARS

I love dark, gritty reads. The more tortured and broken the hero, the better. When I read Raze, I was over the moon. This dark tale of children stolen from their homes, taken to Russian gulags, tortured and trained under the influence of a drug to be killing machines ticked all my boxes. It's still my favourite.

I’ve enjoyed this series with the animosity between the Russian Bratva and the Georgians, and how these dark, broken souls escape their imprisonment, fight the urge to kill and find love.

This book continues with the story of 194, Valentin, another victim of the gulags who crosses paths with Luka and Zaal, and Zaal's sister Zoya. For me, the connection between Valentin and Zoya was too much too soon.

Sometimes insta-love works for me. In this case, given the circumstance, I needed a bit more to truly buy into their fast love for each other. Having said that, the writing great, the plot solid and interesting, and I must say, the sex scenes are hot! This is not a standalone.

**ARC provided via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.**

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Tillie Cole is the author that marked my summer. I read all her Hangmen series and all her Scarred souls series. I'm so happy I gave her another chance after I DNFed Sweet Home last year. I've come to know her beautiful writing style that captured me every time.

In this series I loved Raze but Reap got my heart. Talia & Zaal are the ones who broke me and ruined me. I was a little anxious to start Ravage. How could she exceed the beauty of my favorite couple?

Ravage is by far the darkest book I've read from TC. Graphic violences and tortures are depicted but that never bothered me quite the opposite the darker the better. You have to make your reader believe in what you write.

"As the years passed, I became a ghost in the night. I became the deliverer of death. I was torture. I was pain. I was the fucking nightmare that no one ever saw coming … … until it was too late."

You can't read this one as a stand-alone, there are far too many connections between the books. All three MC are linked and it's better to have an overview, plus you'll miss two heart-breaking books.

Despite him being a cold killer 194 was endearing. Once you see past the monster he is, you can't help but get attached to him.
Zoya was a tough and perceptive woman who need to be with her family again.

As much as I wanted, I had some trouble connecting with the romance part of the book. I think TC should have put more time for their love to be a real success. I know most of her story are an insta-connection/love and it usually surprisingly works really well but not as much with these two.

“You are in pain. Your life has not been your own, is still not your own.” She sighed sadly. “Just like mine.”

I did enjoy the fierce love they both have for their siblings. Once again the commitment between those who fall in love are everywhere. If you look past the appearances, they are very much alike and they both want the same thing. That's one of the reason I will always get back to Tillie's books. She gives me a sense of belonging.

For fans of the series, just like me, you'll be thrilled to have once again Luka's pov from time to time. That means more Zaal too.

Now begin the anticipation for the next book. I' beyond excited to have it in my hands. The role are reverse: it is now a woman who needs to be saved.

~ ARC provided by the publisher in exchange of an honest review ~

No comments