Throwback Thursday: The End Game by Kate McCarthy


description“Professional athletes are pillars of their respective communities. They are heroes in the eyes of boys and girls and are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that positively represents their community.”

The public loves a good scandal. Seeing someone fall from the pinnacle of success makes a great headline. No one knows that better than I do. What started out as a promising career in college football, spiraled into scandal and shame. 

But being a hero is easier said then done. Especially when there are those who expected to see the great Brody Madden fail. I craved nothing except being the best—willing to do anything to prove them wrong. But I went too far, and I tried too hard, and it broke me.

“At the time of going to print, Jordan Elliott was unavailable for comment.” 

I met Brody Madden in my senior year of college. An Australian native on an international scholarship, I was the female soccer sensation with stars in her eyes and no room for a hotshot wide receiver with a chip on his shoulder.

But a heart bursting with ambition and a driving fire to succeed isn’t made of stone. I became his strength, his obsession, and the greatest love of his life. Only I wasn’t there when he needed me most.

This is a story about love and a game that takes everything. Where the path to glory is paved with sacrifice. Where pressure makes you, or breaks you, and triumph is born in the ashes of failure. Where two people’s end game will change everything.



My rating: 5 of 5 stars


6+++ Blow me away Intense and EMOTIONAL Stars.



First of all I want to explain my star rating.

4 stars are a good read and 5 Stars means I loved, and if you follow my reviews they are rarely below that. That is purely because I am picky on what I read and I always read books dependant on what mood I am in.

That being said I don't give out 6 Stars freely. When I share a 6 it means it is worth the ride and boy was it worth the ride. I have been waiting for this book allll year, I was a bit anxious I wasn't going to enjoy it but I really shouldn't have worried. I apologise for my over the top fan girl over the book. Don't think of me badly kay??

Sigh OMG this is one PHENOMAL book. There are books that touch us and then there are books that SPEAK to us and this one was just that and more. I feel absolutely WRECKED after reading this none stop for the past four days, buttttt I will forever have these Characters inbedded into my heart and Kate will always be a go-to author for me.

So what's it about?
Brody is a College Footballer fighting to get to the top, he wants to be the BEST and only the BEST will do. He has a goal and its a straight line to the top. Nothing else has ever mattered to him. That is until he meets his match.


Jordan Elliot has transferred from Australia to play Soccer in the US, which is an AMAZING opportunity for her and she has a very similar plan. Both have the same goals except they are both very DIFFERENT. Two very different people with two very different backgrounds yet two people who have one goal in mind to Achieve.


Brody though is Dyslexic and because of that his grades are failing and in turn he then won't be able to do his dream and play professionally. And that is how Jordan and Brody meet because Brody needs tutoring that's when things get complicated.

As a reader I really feel like you need to read this going in FEET FIRST and not know the twists and turns that take a mist of your heart.

But I will say this...
Brody pushes and pushes Jordan and Fights for her and doesn't give up till he gets her, the first half of the book is a slow burn. Because of that you get much more of a deeper emotional involvement to their story as time goes.


BRODY #Sigh Brody.
What a beautiful and unique character he is. He loves unconditionally, he moulds himself to Jordan so that she has no choice but to let him in. How he takes care of her. How he wants what's best for Her. I loved the story and how it's slow developing but NEVER at any point was it slow. It grew bit by bit, slither by slither, words enveloped me and I was enveloped into their tender sensual beautiful and endearing soul shattering story, about life. About love, about loyalty, about forgiveness, about beginnings. About being FREE.
Brody has many an issue as time passes but not once did I not understand why he chose the path he went down with. I just love a broken hero and Brody was 110% that, his vulnerability shone through to me and he spoke to my heart. His relationship with Jordan but also his inner turmoil, he was soooo courageous.

This is a story about FIGHTING for what we care about, about what we need and what WE LOVE.


This is a story about taking chances. About making Sacrifices. And about how to cope with LIFE.


This story is a very much full impact story on emotions, but please don't get me wrong. This a LOVE story a very beautiful and unique one but there are moments of fun and laughter and joy as well .

Of Intense NEEDING.

And about FAMILY with the people that matter, about finding that ONE person to lean on. About Falling in LOVE. And ultimately about LIFE.


It was written in dual POV and because you have an American Footballer and an Australian Soccer player this was a good decision made by Kate because you again get a full effect of where they are, where they come from, read and get the Australian Slang and then here Brodys sturn arrogant personality and his broken heart, how he voiced his actions. His turmoil his insecurities and how he FELL IN LOVE with his ONE his HOME. How you hurt for Jordan and how you could feel her strength. In tears of joy and pain. But what spoke to me throughout the whole book was how passionately they LOVED each other HARD. And I read this genre because I love to FEEL and I love to go through the whole damn story right alongside them. No With Them.

This was a book about HOME above all. It span over a period of years and yes is long at 400 pages yet is wasn't too much for me, it never bothered me. I usually don't read long books I get bored yet I didn't want The End Game to end. I will take them with me now and hold them in my heart.

I hope you take the chance because in my eyes this is a very special read. A TrueLove Story.

If you LOVE music like myself I listened to The End Game Spotify list while reading it!!

Enjoy...


No comments