Throwback Thursday: Mud Vein by Tarryn Fisher


description
When reclusive novelist Senna Richards wakes up on her thirty-third birthday, everything has changed. Caged behind an electrical fence, locked in a house in the middle of the snow, Senna is left to decode the clues to find out why she was taken. If she wants her freedom, she has to take a close look at her past. But, her past has a heartbeat... and her kidnapper is nowhere to be found. With her survival hanging by a thread, Senna soon realizes this is a game. A dangerous one. Only the truth can set her free.









My rating: 5 of 5 stars
**5 Devastatingly Dark Truthful Stars!!**

There are really not enough stars to do this justice. I’m emotionally and physically exhausted but it was so WORTH IT. I like a good mystery, an intricate puzzle to solve. Mud Vein was exactly that. I had no clue what I was getting into, stayed away from the synopsis and any reviews. All I needed to know was this was a Tarryn Fisher book.

I was reeled in from the beginning and could not untangle myself, nor did I want to, from this emotional and mental masterpiece. This is a tale of Senna Richards, a reclusive novelist who is abducted and must weave her way through the labyrinth of clues to escape.

Mud Vein 2 photo mudvein_zps7233061d.jpg

This is not a love story or romance. It’s a tale about truth, the truth of one’s soul.

”I’m not fond of the truth; it’s why I lie for a living.” - Senna

The story takes us through the stages of grief and for the first part of the book, I felt detached from Senna. My connection to her was through my own thoughts and feelings of how I would fare, think or feel if in the same predicament. I was too wrapped up in the mystery to really feel…very much like Senna.

Senna is a daughter of winter. Senna is numb, broken and tightly bound by her past, her pain and her silence.

“Love is cocaine.”…“Love and coke. The consequences for both are expensive: you get a mighty fine high, then you come barreling down, regretting every hour you spent reveling in something so dangerous. But you go back for more. You always go back for more. Unless you’re me.”

description

Issac Asterholder is both musician and surgeon. His contrasts, his strength and his presence are the perfect balance to Senna and yet, at times, frustrating and painful.

“You’ve been silent your whole life. You were silent when we met, silent when you suffered. Silent when life kept hitting you… I tried to move you. It didn’t work. But that doesn’t mean you didn’t move me. I heard everything you didn’t say. I heard it so loudly that I couldn’t shut if off. Your silence, Senna, I hear it so loudly.”

Mud Vein 1 photo MudVein2_zpscfed5871.jpg

”You can’t fix me,” I said, looking at his knees. “I don’t want to.” “I’m mangled,” I said. “On the inside and the outside.” “And yet I love you.”

This is NOT an easy read. It’s emotionally draining, breaks you apart and then puts you back together, somehow stronger but still altered.

"I once read that there is an invisible thread that connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.”

description

Mud Vein is so eloquently written. Tarryn uses words to not only tell a magnificent tale but to also lure you into an intricate web, a tangle of emotions.

description

No comments