Review: When it's Real by Erin Watt

descriptionFrom #1 New York Times bestselling author duo Erin Watt comes the addictive contemporary tale of a teen rock star in need of an image makeover and the teen girl hired to be his fake girlfriend. 

Meet Oakley Ford-teen celebrity, renowned pop star, child of famous movie stars, hottie with millions of fangirls… and restless troublemaker. On the surface he has it all, but with his home life disintegrating, his music well suddenly running dry, and the tabloids having a field day over his outrageous exploits, Oakley's team decides it's time for an intervention. The result: an image overhaul, complete with a fake girlfriend meant to show the world he's settled down.

Enter seventeen-year-old Vaughn Bennett-devoted sister, part-time waitress, the definition of "normal." Under ordinary circumstances she'd never have taken this gig, but with her family strapped for cash, she doesn't have much of a choice. And for the money Oakley's team is paying her, she figures she can put up with outlandish Hollywood parties and a team of publicists watching her every move. So what if she thinks Oakley's a shallow, self-centered jerk? It's not like they're going to fall for each other in real life…right?


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
4.5 Stardom Stars


I don't usually read YA anymore, just cause my reading tastes have changed over time and maybe also cause I'm a mum so I don't know, I rarely pick those books up. Except I ADORED the Royals and this duo are AMAZING together they are everything, just know how to grab your attention. So of course I grabbed this book with both hands.

So what's it about?
Vaughn lost her fly on the wall parents, and so her and her older sister are holding the fort taking care of their younger twin brothers and trying their best with what they have. But not really living so Vaughn is given an opportunity to she can't resist and that is to be part of a social media campaign to be the new girlfriend of Oakley a musician in the business that is world known but needs to get a new album out so this is just an opportunity for both sides to rise as it were.

Yet it's of course a set up, a contract. Where maybe just maybe lines cross.

Is it real or is it fake? That is the question right?


At the first look Oak is an ass, but in true Erin Watt style I fell for him the more I got to know him.. there is a lonely vulnerability about him that makes you as a reader love him more. You kind of want him to open up his heart and let people in, and Vaughn of course is that person. He has many people around him but that doesn't mean he's not lonely... stardom can be a cold place for most.

Vaughn is strong, caring and is also head strong she just knows how to keep going. But I suppose what Oak gives her is Life together they lean on each other. Learn to live, learn to care and learn to just be together.


I loveee this duo so so much, their writing together just pulls and draws you in. It's edgy, fun, addictive as ever. I can't recommend it enough. So if YA isn't for you, put Erin Watt in a different box altogether cause there's nothing like them. They're different, unique, addictive shall I say that again ADDICTIVE once you start you can't stop.

Enjoy Xoxo

Ps I read some on my kindle and I also listened on audible. I recommend both, I love audible for doing my jobs and running and this book was fab when listening to both voices.. with Kindle you go more into their world I suppose. Both both give you something different. So I'd defo do either again.

ARC generously gifted in exchange for a honest review

No comments